Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Look what I got in the mail....



and when I say "in the mail" I mean it...

This wonderful altered skull traveled without an envelope from Texas to Massachusetts in a mere two days.
 My post office people LOVED it and were wishing they could keep it. 


The sender is the wonderful Lisa Vollrath who is hosting a Facebook-based swap group called "Mixed Media Mail Art"

I think I'm going to love this group.  Lisa is a no BS person and has set up a group for people who actually like to make mail art (rather than lurk in social media groups) and who do it because they love the process of creating/mailing and don't need a perfect one-to-one response rate on everything they send.  I'm optimistic that there will be lots of mailing and very little whining.

This skull was part of a "Naked mailing swap."
I have a pretty good idea of what I'm sending my partner and will be spending a big part of today altering it.  I'll reveal what I mailed after my partner receives it.

Meanwhile, my new skull is nestled on top of my file cabinet amongst many other random treasures that make me happy.


What's the weirdest thing you ever got in the mail?


10 comments:

  1. Fantastic....A skull of your own! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That takes mail art to a whole new level! It would never have fitting into our little slot of a mailbox. Lisa must be unique, and it looks as though there's a whole new avenue for you to run down, laughing and shouting. Give her my admiration please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa does great stuff, swap-wise!
    One of these days, after things settle back into a semblance of normalcy, I'm hoping to refocus on Freakwerx again... it kinda got pushed to the side for a while there due to other shtuff.

    I think one of the weirdest things I've received as *actual mail* was a sword... just this week! Katie sent me a styrofoam "sword of awesomeness" complete with instructions on its proper usage written on the "blade!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... As you can imagine I have gotten a whole lot of unusual mail. My favorite was a gold trimmed beautiful china bowl -- sent naked through the mail with my address in sharpie writing and lots of stamps on the underside the bowl. I recently mailed off a plate but it never got to the person....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the summer I had a man from MD send me a three page poem, not romantic...not sure what the heck it was. I have no idea who he is or why he sent it to me. I also got 3 large postcards from a painter in Turkey featuring her paintings. Again, no idea why. I guess when you make your address public anything can happen!
    Love the skull!
    jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super-cool! I've never mailed anything particularly wacky, but it is certainly tempting!

    ReplyDelete