Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Friends and Faux

Waaaaay back in early October, Gina sent me an "add & pass" postcard.
It is part of the Friends & Faux Filatelic Bureau's postcard project, in which each person who receives it adds their own ArtiStamp and then sends it out to someone else.  Eventually all cards should return back to F&F.
It took me almost two months to finally sit down and create my own series of stamps, and once I finally did,  I couldn't decide who to pass it to, so there it sat, for two more months.
It's truly embarrassing.

But here it is:


It's a great project, and I'm grateful to Gina (who makes amazing inspiring stamps and shares them generously) for giving me the kick I needed to make my own.  It really wasn't that hard.  I don't have photoshop or other fancy photo-editing software - I just imported images of my art into a word document and used the "text box" feature to add the postage amounts and other words.  I then shrunk the whole picture to a suitable size, and copied and pasted it a whole bunch of times to make a full sheet.
Here are some of the others I've made so far.



 These all started as small collages I made for the index-card-a-day challenge last summer.  I just imported the scanned images into Word.  
I'm excited to learn more about ArtiStamp making at Ex Postal Facto (which starts two weeks from today!!!!!)
I'm sure I will come home fired up to make more.


 For now, this Friends and Faux postcard needs its next stamp.
Anybody want to play along?  First person to comment with a "Yes" will be the next in line.

17 comments:

  1. I'd love to take part - so Yes! (Finnbadger is my blog name - real name: Phillip Lerche)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to add: your artistamp/faux stamp sheets are fantastic - they'd look great uncut and framed. I particularly like the 11 3/4 stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahoo! THey all look so wonderful as sheets :D. I love that you put YOU on the F&F card! And what are the last beauties I see? I don't remember seeing those? :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone...thanks to this post I remembered that I have a untouched Friends and Faux postcard that I need to get into circulation. That is, once I finally have my stamp designed.
    p.s. Thanks for the fab postcard this week. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea!! I thought I hard to carve something to make a artistamp....digital, I can do! Love your creativity.... thanks for the p/c

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am undone in "totally cool amazement" here, with my jaw hanging down around my ankles, especially at the hint that it's not as hard to do artistamps as I had thought.

    In other words, no need to get a PhD in Photoshop before attempting, although your "easy-as-peasy-pie" directions strike me (ah, my blatant disbelief rearing its ugly head here) like "Banish Wrinkles in 1 Easy Step!" Sounds a bit too good to be true, especially for me, since nearly everything of value takes me at least ten more steps than anybody else.

    And just think, Karen (and "poly"). The fact that you took so long to add your "mug" to the postcard and send it on is nothing to apologize for. Instead, that's the only smart approach.

    Any delay on your part means that all the previous ones on the card have had just that much more time to look more antiquey. (You know, yellow, brittle, or stylistically like those hideous high school snapshots we all have, the ones where we've got the shag haircuts and bell bottoms, hanging out with our prize stashes of 8-track tapes.) Thus the longer you wait to "add and pass," the younger, hipper and cooler your stamp can't help but look to whoever gets the card next.

    And as for "poly's" postcard: The one she received this week might have been "fab," but the Karen one that I received this week was "fabber."

    Do I detect an artistamp exchange in the MMSA future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see an artistamp MMSA - either stamps themselves, or postcards designed with a First Day Cover for an artistamp.

      Delete
  7. My goodness! I had no idea this was around. It looks like such fun!
    As my mother would say, I know I'm not dead now, because I just learnt something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, I had no idea this could be done! I love what you've done. These are great. I hear what you're saying about taking a while to finish things. I think I've been more of a procrastinator this past year than ever before. I tell myself other stories, but sometimes I wonder if I procrastinate on things (not always arty) because I just don't want to do them! But there have been personal issues, so it's probably a phase... Have a marvelous time in SF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful artistamps. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to hear all about your time at Ex Postal Facto.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again - it has arrived and I posted it to the blog http://envelope100.blogspot.com/2014/02/friend-or-faux-postcard-34.html

    Up close and in person it is much easier to appreciate all the details - great work in a tiny space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to do a MMSA on this, or get in on one of the Faux series... I have been out of the loop as I moved and am still unpacking my art stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen--hope you are bringing some artistamps -- and a handcarved stamp here to SF to stamp in our XPF passports!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you had a wonderful time at XPF.
    I added my stamp to the F&F postcard you sent me...
    http://envelope100.blogspot.com/2014/02/friends-faux-postcard-34-addition.html?m=1
    It is winging its way to France next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thought you might like to see how the card is doing... it just gained two amazing stamps in France...

    http://postenomade.over-blog.com/article-friends-fauxstamps-122642578.html

    ReplyDelete