I'm hosting a "kitchen" post card swap over at Mail Me Some Art. The idea was to find something in your kitchen and use it to make a piece of art.
Here are some examples of what I made:
And since most of these marks were made with un-traditional tools, and since Lynn was asking me questions about backgrounds, I took some pictures of the stages along the way.
I started without a plan, as usual.
The first thing I did was dip-dye some paper towels with diluted food coloring. I folded up the towels in a variety of crazy ways (no fancy origami - just random folds) and dipped the corners in various colors.
When unfolded, it looks like this.
I made a bazillion. And since they are two-ply paper towels, you pull them apart when dry and now you have two bazillion.
Then I took my new favorite mystery tool and stamped all over tissue paper.
(Gina tells me this is a whisk and that her mother used it to beat eggs. She wins the prize. Maybe I'll send her scrambled eggs.)
And I took a cool patterned styro-foam meat tray and rolled paint on it with a brayer and stamped it on cheap printer paper.
THEN, I grabbed some 9"x12" sheets of water color paper, this awesome spatula, and my liquid watercolors (which I have poured into spray bottles) and made three layers using my spatula as a stencil. I started with my lightest color, yellow, then switched to orange, then fuschia:
same idea, different color palette:
I gathered the various types of papers I'd made in similar color schemes:
I grabbed the mod podge and started layering:
and layering some more:
and adding in some mesh vegetable bags in different colors:
and finally, when all that was dry, I cut the page into four postcards:
I decided they needed a little more embellishing.
I found this tube of weird stuff called "texture magic" that I'd found at the job lot store for a buck. I think you're supposed to use it with stencils on your walls. It's kind of thick, like toothpaste.
I squeezed it over the spatula and smooshed it into all the little holes with my fingers:
This is what the finished cards look like (I also used blue dimensional stuff):
I decided to add black accents to my orangey cards. I like making marks with this silicone basting brush:
More spatula stencil marks - this time using spray inks:
This one was rapidly becoming a hot mess. It's got a ridiculous amount of layers trying to compensate for the parts gone wrong. I didn't have any orange dimensional paint, but I added some orange acrylic to some modeling paste and used a different (non-kitchen-related) stencil with that.
This was not my most popular theme over at MMSA, but clearly, as the picker of the themes, this is one I adore. I love the challenge that comes with making art with non-art materials.