remember these tissue papers I painted?
They peel off the freezer paper pretty easily. There were a few little holes and tears in the paper, but not many, and I didn't care since I was using them for collage anyway.
I tore off a chunk and used gel medium to glue the whole big piece over some cards.
(warning: Jess has asked us not to use Mod Podge because she had big problems with a few decks last year. Gel medium was my one extravagance in this project.)
The tissue was still kind of wet and gluey when I pulled the cards off the freezer paper and separated them. It made the tissue rip in interesting ways.
Here's an example using a different tissue paper:
You can peel them off the freezer paper in a single sheet and trim them with scissors
After this, I wanted to explore other ways of creating texture and layers on my cards.
I tore little strips of newspaper:
Glued them on the sheet at random, overlapping multiple cards:
I rolled on a light layer of gesso to tone it down a bit:
I grabbed a homemade stamp (made from that same non-skid rubbery stuff) and rolled paint on it:
and stamped these little blue dots all over:
the sheet of cards now looked like this:
I thinned some darker blue paint and some black paint with water:
then I started flinging the paint all over them by shaking the brush:
Here they are with both blue and black drips before I cut them apart:
Now, I realize the paint flinging approach is not for everyone, so in consideration of those of you who don't have the space or inclination to get totally messy, I present an alternative way to add layers of paint:
I buy these die-cut scrapbook papers from the big crafts stores and use them as stencils. They're pretty cheap and hold up well to many uses:
Here's what the cards looked like when I used gesso over the stencil:
Here's what they looked like when I used blue paint over the stencil:
such different effects from the same stencil. I love that.
Here's a sampling of the variety of backgrounds I created using these techniques.
All off the steps you've seen so far were done in a single (albeit long) evening of art making.
Stay tuned for part four in which I let the cards dry overnight and then add the text and finishing touches.