Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Minty ICAD

Last week's "summer of color" theme was mint chocolate chip.
At first I was excited because it's my all time favorite ice cream flavor.
But then I realized, I hate mint green as a color.  It makes me think of a bad bridesmaid's dress.

I made my first minty index card while visiting my sister in Virginia.  I didn't have any green paint with me, but noticed that the price tags from my thrift-store bargains were that yucky mint color, and I came up with this:



I couldn't get the challenge out of my head after I got home, in spite of (or perhaps because of) my distaste for it.  And so I made this one, using pan pastels and acrylic paint over a gessoed card.




And all the while I was making it, I could hear my son's voice when he was really little, complaining that the toothpaste was too mmmmmmiiiiiiinnnnntttttttyyyyyyy!!!!
so I drew this in his honor.
(I couldn't bring myself to make the toothbrush brown for the sake of the challenge, because who ever heard of a brown toothbrush.  I mean really?)


16 comments:

  1. I had difficulty with this colour combo too - but I think you've done brilliantly - I love the middle pic with the delicate colours and swirls - I love your mottled background - and I also love the toothpaste drawing - very appropriate! Hope you are happier doing the next challenge - have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you used the colors in spite of not liking them. Your second piece is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - thanks for the horrible 1980s bridesmaid dress memory for a wedding I was in! YUCK! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the 2nd one is just beautiful. I do love pan pastels... And the toothpaste drawing is great - I just love your little drawings!
    You've been a busy girl, I just saw all the ICADS from your other post, a wonderful variety...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi. i know what you mean about minty green. guess what? peppermint is minty, and it's not green! but besides all that, if you DO have to use mint green, like, if some Fascists are threatening to take away your Nordstrom card (that usually does it for me), you could put minty green as an accent to a deep lavendar color. just the accent.

    just so you know, i've made all of this up in my mind. i have no idea what i'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha, your post is funny. I loved this combo. Funny how different we all are. And I hate brown!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your minty index card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving your work and that abstract is very cool...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. I had a tough time with these colors also.. But you rocked it.. Looks great..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also had a tough time with those colors - you did very well - love your minty index card and my grandson hates minty toothpaste as well. Wonderful drawing of the toothpaste!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your first card so much!! And I am laughing about your red toothbrush that you have saved from beiing brown ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your cute toothpaste tube :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. For not liking the color combo, you did a great job! And you managed to use what was at hand...even better. You put quite a bit of energy into something you aren't even crazy about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You see, I was fine with minty green until you mentioned the yukky bridesmaid dress thing, and now that image is in my head, I officially dislike it!!

    I am LOVING the pan pastels card, so soft and dreamy. Your toothpaste drawing is cute (and I always thought toothpaste was too miiinty when I was a kid too!).

    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who would have a brown toothbrush?? The colour combination is not as delicious as the flavour, though I have never thought about that before.

    I see the bridesmaid dress in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete