Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

week something-or-other of whatchamacallit




Every year it takes me by surprise.  The start of summer camp knocks the stuffing out of me.  Is it the 50 exuberant children?  Is it the cacophony of their voices?  Perhaps it's the 8 hours a day of kids/parents/staff wanting/needing/asking something.



I'm a zombie.  And though it seems hard to believe right this very moment, history suggests I will NOT be this tired for the remaining seven weeks of camp.  Just for this one.

I'm making art every day, but I'm having a heck of a time keeping up with blogging and flickr and facebook and linking and visiting and commenting.

The most recent "summer of color" challenge was this ice cream:


It's called baseball nut (though I'm not sure what it's got to do with baseball)
"A smooth, vanilla flavored ice cream swirled with a black raspberry ribbon and loaded with cashews"
-Baskin Robbins
 
I liked this color combination a lot better than the last one
I cut flower petals out of book pages, mulberry paper and tissue paper.
After I finished it, I noticed the cut-up book page on my table and liked the look of it.  I glued it on top of some lovely cashew-colored paper, and collaged on some handmade paper, and doodled with gold gel pen and flicked on some gold paint.
and then, even though we've moved on to a new color/flavor for this week, I couldn't get baseball nut out of my head.  
This one has shiny gold circles stamped on top.

This one used washi tape, book pages, paint and a stamp, but surprisingly nothing gold and shiny.

Not linking up to summer of color, or index card a day or paint party Friday or anything else because I'm just too tired.

off to bed.
more fun tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Really pretty Karen! I don't know how you do all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound SO tired :o( Well done for still getting your arting in :o)

    ALL your Baseball Nut arts are lovely - the 'officia'l one, of course, and then I seriously like how you used the petal cut-out paper too.

    I hope Summer Camp becomes less manic for you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love all your baseball nut pics, but particularly the second one. You are so productive! You must have the fastest brain and hand in the west (or should that be east). I think from my limited knowledge of summer camp from movies that you must be volunteering there for two months - you leave me breathless! You are a great spur to me to get back in the swim- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, camp was exhausting when I was younger; not sure I could keep up now. I remember being so surprised, though, that I was the most tired after the half days with the preschoolers. That was my first hands-on experience with the way in which preschoolers suck their energy directly from their adults. Being in charge of a group of them, even for only the morning, was like getting steamrolled, but in a very chatty, huggy, loving sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with all the excitement -- and I'd like that ice cream please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuckle, only 50 kids/parents/ noise....I am surprised you are standing at all. Love the colors and TEXTURE of your ice cream color cards. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I use to be the art instructor at a summer camp. It is completely exhausting...requires a TON of multi tasking, jumping through hoops and such. I remember being totally overwhelmed cuz just as the day ended filled with amazing projects and results, the next one was on me with a ton of kids coming to me every hour! Phew! Hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you even have the energy to think about creating! And then you turn out such pretty little pieces! Amazing! I totally know what you mean about all the places to keep up - it's overwhelming even when not much else is going on. So if you don't get around to blogging for a few days, it's okay with us! (sort of :)) We'll be here when you have the energy! Next week will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're my hero - just the thought of 8 weeks of summer camp, of the kids and parents, makes me want to crawl under my desk and hide! And the fact that you're still creating art is amazing - good for you. I love all your baseball nut pieces - especially the flower and the anti-flower (I love that you used the leftover paper the way you did and made them into beautiful leaves!) Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel exhausted just thinking about summer camp. So impressed you still did cards. I love the second one. It sums up exactly how I feel right now.

    ReplyDelete