Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Index card catch up

Another week of the index-card-a-day challenge has flown by.  I started the week following the prompt list from Daisy Yellow since I had so much fun with it last week.

The prompt was masking tape, which was perfect since I've been obsessed with my faux washi tape experiment

The prompt was "favorite earrings".  I already had a painted background using my favorite spiral stamp, (which, not coincidentally, is the same shape as my favorite earrings)  so I traced over a few of those background spirals with silver gel pen.

The prompt was Taxi, and I'd just read a piece about torn paper collage and decided to try it.  I painted a bunch of sheets of paper in yellow paint, cut them up, collaged the little bits together, and cut out the taxi.  We had a few cold, dark, dreary days in a row which inspired the bleak background.

Prompt was Turquoise.  I dug through my basket of my painted papers and tore off strips of anything turquoise and just glued them down onto my card.

After this I got stuck on the prompts.  Nothing else on the list was speaking to me.  Last week Tammy pointed out that two of my cards referred to things I don't do.  I decided I didn't want to make a habit out of that, so I didn't make the "I hate football" card in response to the football prompt.  I also got really focused on other projects and my index cards were feeling more like an assignment.  Rather than treating them as an obligation I decided to use them as brainstorming sessions for my next painting.

I'm still not sure I like the results of my first attempt to paint on canvas but instead of painting over it I think I will use the same materials to create variations on the technique. Here are some index cards explorations of colors and layers. 



The backgrounds are different shades of acrylic paint.  I stamped over them with a homemade stamp (that rubbery stuff you put under throw rugs to keep them from slipping) and stamped some more with bubble wrap.  I painted circles with white gesso and then colored in the circles with water soluble oil pastels (two or more colors blended together)

I like the way they look all together, arranged in a grid:

New prompts are up for next week, and I admit, I am very intrigued.  Art deco? heck ya!  Catastrophe? so much potential....

5 comments:

  1. I love your big yellow taxi. Thinking of Joni Mitchell. Great stuff!!! xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. The taxi's great, and I love the turquoise card too! Your work is so colorful! I may give that circle thing a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your pieces - the bright colors just draw me in! Love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the turquoise one. The "dreary" background on the taxi is perfect. It echoes the checkerboard on the taxi itself and sort of looks like the windows in all the tall buildings on a city street.
    Thank you, too, for the link to washi making goodness.

    ReplyDelete