Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Paint Party Friday

I need some advice.  I've got this painting hanging on my easel, and I don't think it's done, but I don't know where to go next.



I made it a few weeks ago, right before we left on vacation.  We were totally packed and ready, but had a few hours to kill.  I wanted to paint.  I wanted to challenge myself.  I wanted to make something different - unlike any of the other big paintings I've done on this pad .  So I plugged in the iPod and attacked the page.

I decided to start with brown because I NEVER use brown.  I scraped a lot of paint on with a credit card in my best willy-nilly fashion.  I love blue and brown combinations, so I scraped some aqua paint on top of the brown.  And then I decided to stamp, with more  brown paint, using the strange "string of blobs" stamp I made.  It's not pretty yet, but it's certainly different.

Next I painted a sheet of newspaper with aqua and white and ripped it up and glued it down.  This reminded me that I had some aqua circles painted all over a sheet of tissue paper laying around somewhere.  Found it, cut out some circles and pasted them down.

Before I knew it, I had pulled out a variety of round things and was stamping brown and aqua circles all over it.  and BOY was I happy.  Better spray some brown ink on there so it's nice and splattery.

and then I step back and realize it looks like everything else I make.  I always come back to circles.  so much for "different".

So here it is, and I'm liking it, but it still feels more like a background for the world's biggest art journal.  I feel like I want to add something.  Some kind of focal image?  A silhouette?  Use some kind of stencil or mask so that only part of the background peeks through.  I can't decide.

IF THIS WAS YOUR PAINTING WHAT WOULD  YOU DO NEXT?

27 comments:

  1. Follow my gut of course and see where it took me. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Center, focus and listen to your inner muse as to what to do next ~Thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would turn them into abstract flowers, or maybe fill in some of the parts that connect. Ooh lots of opportunities. I love the colours you have chosen. Happy PPF and hope to see more of this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, of course, I see a face back there...right in the middle. One eye has a yellow center and an aqua rim, but then, I see faces looking out of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you have so far and for myself I just wait for the painting to tell where to go...it will just come to me when it's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, so if it was me I would totally draw a girl over the top, painting her features lightly so all those yummy layers still show through. It's my kind of background - especially the colours. I think she'd have red hair!

    Here's an idea. Why don't you post a high res version for people to print out then invite them to do something with it for next week? Then we can all share! I'd be up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A delicious background waiting for your inner muse to finish or maybe leave as is! Will look forward to seeing what emerges or remains the same! Lovely piece for an art-venture! Happy PPF! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be a gorgeous print for a fabric! happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous colors for a background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. maybe some sort of focal point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors are remarkable and I look forward to what your muse directs you to do next! Love the term SPLATTERY too!!! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific background, look forward to seeing how you use it. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this piece - I am always drawn to curves and circles as well - I generally prefer them to sharp corners for some reason. I think the colour combination is just gorgeous and as Faye said it would be a really lovely fabric. As for what to do to it next - personally I like it as it is as an abstract piece but Wrightstuff has a good idea too about putting a girl over the top of it - that could work. Maybe leave it for a week or two and let the right idea bubble up from your subconscious - it usually works for me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well you know me, I would put a big ole gecko,a bunch of frogs, or a dragon flying across it! Yowza, its delicious just the way it is too! Love it! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know where this beautiful background will take me as I always use a lot of time thinking and reflecting. Definitely the colors are nice to work on.. What i was thinking though are some words to play with and perhaps a human being... Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd do what Natasha May does in some of her work and and use black or dark blue and leave biggish peep holes of the wonderful underneath colour. But, that's cos I can't do figures or what ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see seashells, seahorse... maybe a mermaid. But I do love it the way it is! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this would be a wonderful background for a disco dancer! But I like it as it is, too. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh... So many possibilities - Text, figures, leave it abstract... it is definitely fun to hear what everyone would do! I am interested in finding out what your gut is telling you to do with it!!! I can't wait to see what you decide :)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  20. If this were my painting and I didn't know where to go next, I think I may try a few things like...

    take it to a few different places and look at it from a distance.

    turn it upside down and look at it or on its side

    view it from a picture, like this one ;)

    I love what you've got so far and you might just be surprised if you were to matte and frame it, it may just be complete :)

    xx Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  21. First, I think you should photo copy it only glossy photo paper to keep as stationary or to cut up for you ICADs. I love the idea of a girl painted over the background but I'm seeing a child, perhaps sleeping and the shapes are his dreams which could be the dragons and frog someone spoke about.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it's great the way it is. I don't think I'd wat to ruin what you've done already. I think I'd spray it with some gloss. That's me though. I love it the way it is. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, great background...and now so many thoughts on what to do or not to do....it will be interesting to see what you decide.
    cheers,dana

    ReplyDelete
  24. There are so many places you can take this next. I really like it just the way it is also. Beautiful color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  25. First of all, I LOVE the colors together!! The turquoise blues and browns look fantastic together. I am a total sucker for circles too, so I love where it is right now. But, if you feel it needs more...move it around, turn it all different directions and see what you find in the background. Maybe just a figure/face of some kind, words...or birds. I hope you share what you decide!:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are beautiful colours together. I think you could keep visiting it with a brush each day until one day something calls to you.

    ReplyDelete