Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Paint Party Friday

It's Paint Party Friday again and this week I went craaaazy.  Totally, out-on-a-limb, wild.  Are you ready? I didn't paint on paper.  (GASP!)  This little fledgling has decided she's ready to paint on something more substantial and bought some cheap canvas boards.  And to be even more daring and reckless, I actually took my time with this one, adding one layer at a time and completely waiting for the paint to dry in between.  Told you it was a crazy week.

I had to keep reminding myself as I went along that if this next layer totally sucked, I could cover the whole thing in gesso and start again.  I took pictures along the way in case I wanted to go back and recreate a certain stage.

Last night I was loving and thought it was done. This morning I'm not so sure.  I'm thinking I went too far with it and I like some of the earlier layers better.  Here's what it looks like right now:
It's about 9"x12"


Here are the pictures I took along the way:
Gesso, then tissue paper, then more gesso.  A few shades of orange paint.  Stamped with dark orange , stamped again with white paint and large bubble wrap.

I used jar lids to stamp some circles and then filled them in with gesso

I colored on top of the gesso circles with water soluble oil pastels in two shades of orange and then blended them together.

I painted some newspaper with gesso and orange paint and cut out some circles.  I also added a torn piece of hand-painted tissue paper near the bottom.

I gessoed over the newspaper circles, leaving an orange border.
I added more newspaper circles and printed tissue paper, and colored those newspaper circles with oil pastels.

The final stage was to fling dark orange paint all over it.  (go back and look at that first picture).  I think I like it better without the painted tissue paper layer and without the paint spatters on top.  Still, there's a lot I like about this and it was very satisfying to work on the board.  I'm going to sit with it for a while before I do anything rash.

And speaking of rash....remember last week's "final" version of that big brown and aqua painting?  If you left the party to go the bathroom or were too busy picking the hazelnuts out of the bridge mix, you can see it again here:

It didn't even make it through the day.  By the time I got home from work Friday night I was SO over it.  I got out the paper cutter and hacked it into 4"x6" postcards.  I've been adding more paint and layers to enhance them.  I like them so much more than the big painting.  Here are a few:

This one's my favorite

Crazy color discrepancy between the big picture and the little picture.  It really is greenish aqua rather than bluish turquoise.  The picture of the big painting was taken with my camera whereas the postcard images are from my scanner and show a truer version of the paint.  

Now I'm wondering if anyone chose to accept my background challenge.  What?  You were in the kitchen rummaging around for more wine and you missed my background challenge???   Last week I encouraged you to print out my background and do something with it.  Go back here to download it if you still want to play, and put a link to your completed work in the comments if you already did.  

Happy Paint Party Friday one and all!

39 comments:

  1. All of your orange layers are beautiful - I love the vibrant circles :) Tissue is one of my favorite things too!

    I posted my "I am Rushmore"-inspired painting today... It was lots of fun! Thanks for sharing the background :)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first of the series turquoise ...Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the orange layers!
    It's my first week with PPF...so I feel fortunate to see the progress of your work!

    Lots of fun!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this piece! the colours, texture and layers; it really is gorgeous. thanks for taking us through step by step-its really interesting to see how it comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played!

    I'm always cutting up my artwork - all part of the creative process. And yes, don't we just love gesso!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...love the ORANGE...it's so vibrant, bold and beautiful! seeing the process is always fun too! your transformed minis are fab...love these "cut-ups" creatively cool! happy ppf POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome art work ~ both pieces ~ very creative, original and colorful~thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) and Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your final version is THE one. Don't go back and change it. Don't cut it into small pieces! However, I do like what you did to the brown and aqua one. I often repurpose things I have painted that I changed my mind about. They usually make great backgrounds for greetings cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! What a punch of energy! The very first picture and the very last are my favs too. I love seeing WIPs! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The orange calls to me. Love it. Lots of energy. Great job! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your orange work this week. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving the zest of colour, its perfect as it is. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the orange! Stunning. I love how you chopped up your piece into cards too. Your paint work space looks a lot like mine this week! Lots of fun. Happy PPF! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you had way too much with this (read I am jealous). I love the finished painting and then you go cut it up! Wow again. Now you have little pieces of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh you are AWESOME! The orange one is gorgeous! And I love what you are doing with the postcards, now you have lots more wonderful paintings!!! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. spectacular !!! I love them both what you did with the brown/ aqua painting is so cool I do like the little cut up cards from it a lot too !
    thanks for visiting my post too ! your very sweet
    I love your style so much !
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  17. The orange painting is great! And I like what you did with the aqua painting. I often do that when I have a larger piece that doesn't thrill me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool to find a kindred spirit that uses all her paint and photographs the in between stages of her tissue& paint backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i like your orange painting and how you have shared the process with us.
    i like your blog background, too! happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both awesome...just love the texture of the orange one!!Great job...thanks for sharing the process too!!

    Thanks for popping by my blog and happy ppf!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE the finished piece (especially the final touch of paint flinging) ... need to try that paint flinging myself. Stay warm in MA ... 47 degrees in CT this a.m. brrrrrrr (but I love it). Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the final one, wouldn't change it!... but if it's the paint splatters you think are too much you could always go back and layer over just a few to see if you like it. My vote is for leaving it just as is!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great...can't decide which version I like best. Somehow though, I think we'll see a new version next week, hmmm?

    Love the idea of hacking up the other painting. Each little piece is fascinating now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the colors you used, and I agree that it looks complete to me! Beautiful work!
    Happy PPF (a day late ;))
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  25. I got as far as printing it out! Then I got distracted with writing a paper to a deadline and finishing my August sketchbook pages and mailing the book off since it is actually September... maybe next week?

    The orange abstract is vibrant and great and I really like the other painting cut up! Your fave is mine too.

    Fun fun the way you are approaching these pieces and love what you've inspired in others.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now this is one orange explosion of happiness! Love the look of it, and your steps on the way there. ^-^

    // - T.W -

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your layers and the beautiful colours. I downloaded your work last week, and I am still pondering....Sooner or later I will get round to using it! You have some great ideas! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your "CRAZY" is absolutely fantastic stuff to me!!!!! I love BOTH projects this week. I hope you will continue to play around in the themes and style you have shared. Great creativity! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The final one is - as said above THE ONE. Don't you go messing with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really like the backgrounds that you've been doing and the orange one is just tasty for me.:) Also I would love to participate on your background piece but I am too busy with work.. I might have to consider that next time:) Your postcards looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really like the final version, especially with the white circle outlines..really pops! Haha, I know what you mean about not being able to just leave something be and hacking it up hehe...they're very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like the final version of the orange one best. The white really makes it. I have already seen a couple of posts using your background from last week. They're good! I do like that last postcard of yours a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The color and texture are just fun to look at and play with! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the orange, it reminds me of a sunny day :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Always fun to see a work go through the steps in achieving its complete form and identity.Love the warm orange colour .....vibrant and happy.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  36. love your way with the circles! very cool textures indeed.

    ReplyDelete