Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Caught up

I finished lesson 3 of my composition class and I'm officially caught up (until lesson 4 is posted Wednesday).  This assignment used similar techniques to the horizon assignment from lesson 2 but explored the cruciform shape and focused on texture.



Cameron left a comment on my last post that my pieces looked like something you'd find in a high-end hotel or spa.  which is really just the sweetest thing ever, but also kind of cracked me up because I'm always surreptitiously taking pictures of art prints like these that I see hanging in public places  (most recently a hospital) because I want to paint like that.  But it's such a popular abstract look that you can find cheezy reproductions in target for crying out loud.  so maybe it's not something to aspire to....

in the meantime, the class is really interesting and helpful and is challenging me in a big way.  I painted over and threw away a bunch of these before settling on a few I can live with.  and even though I'm saying I'm "caught up", I feel like I've only scratched the surface with these exercises.  I want endless hours to repeat them over and over again.  I have way more interests than hours in the day.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I missed a whole bunch of fun and luscious making when I was away, love, love your compostions, this looks like a great class.....xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautiful - quiet simplicity, insanely appealing colors - and even though everyone in the class is making the same general thing, it still always amazes me how much variation there is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, they look worthy of big bucks to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Really looks all crystally and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - I miss checking your blog a day or two and look at all the great things that get posted! These are really just fabulous! While I know that the compositions are "common", first you have to learn the rules before you can break them. And your exercise horizontal horizon pieces are great learning pieces and then when you did more finished, layered pieces, look how evolved they were! The colors and textures you've used in those and these cruciforms are really lovely and I bet even prettier in person. How big are they? How big the horizon exercises? I'm so impressed and wish I was in the class :(

    ReplyDelete