Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Composition lesson 2

Lesson 2 in my Jane Davies composition class was about abstract landscapes.  I added contrasting paper "horizons" onto those color studies I showed you in my last post.  Playing with color value and contrast and balance.

 

 

 

 

Then I worked on these pieces:
 


The thing about taking a class is that I don't want to create something exactly like the example used in the lesson.  But I don't really know how to do it any other way, which is why I'm taking the class in the first place.  And one of the reason's I took Jane's class is because I find her work so beautiful and inspiring and I look at it and say "I wish I could paint like that".  But if I painted like that then I'd be painting like Jane Davies.  and she's got that pretty well covered on her own.

I'm trying not to over think it (too late for that you might say) and just learn all I can.  I could go on and on about what I do and don't like about these paintings, but I'll refrain.  They are class projects and evidence of learning and that's plenty good enough for today.

9 comments:

  1. I think they're great! Like the art hanging on the walls of a hotel or high end spa in beautiful frames! Really!
    I'll take them if you're done with them ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. wow. Very neat, I love the variety and beauty of your horizon lines. And can relate to your comments about the lessons, a lot. I took the class just to keep motivated to make art, and it is working but I find the art I want to make isn't the stuff for the class! Guess that is a good problem to have.. ps. glad to find a fellow orange fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These compositions are great.
    I love how you students depicted the horizon line.
    Beautiful textures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fantastic. I always have the same problem when I take a class...I don't want my art to be a copy but then, in a way, that's what the class is teaching you - how to do something the same way as the teacher. You need to do the basics before you can learn to make it your own. (I know what I'm trying to say but I'm not sure the words came out right!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh the color palette is beautiful, and you have your own style, so dont worry ,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice. It's alright if you make art similar to your teacher's at this stage. You are learning techniques.
    I may have to take her next class. I think it has to do with text. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how are you getting those amazing textures at the bottom?

    I know exactly what you mean about imitation and being unique and all of this. For the first time in a long time I tried to make something like something I saw someone do, and I couldn't, but you know what? It is exactly what I could do, and it turned out well!

    ReplyDelete