Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Index card experiments with mixed results

After the series of cards that made me really happy, I got into a funk.  Five cards in a row in the same style was feeling like a rut but it's not like inspiration was oozing out of every pore.  I was having cynical "what's the point" days.  Nothing was clicking.  I'm trying to embrace this as part of the process.  I don't have to love everything I make.  I can value what I learned from making them.  

I am so full of rules and standards for myself.  It's hard to "settle" for something I don't like.  I've been trying to avoid the "tomorrow's index card must be better than today's index card" trap.  But the longer I do this, and the happier I am with my work in general, the harder it is to accept what I deem lousy, or ordinary, or uninspired.
Each night, I forced myself to stop and accept the card as finished.  I scan it and post it to flickr right away before I have a chance to change my mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment